Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Book Review: The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

Summary: Seventeen-year-old Veronica "Ronnie" Miller's life was turned upside down when her parents divorced and her father moved to Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina. Three years later, she remains alienated from her parent, particularly her father...until her mother decides it would be in everyone's best interest if she and her brother spent the summer with him. Resentful and rebellious, Ronnie rejects her father's attempts to reach out to her and threatens to return to New York before the summer's end. But soon Ronnie meets Will, the last person she thought she'd ever be attracted to, and finds herself falling for him, opening herself up to the greatest happiness--and pain--that she has ever known.


Review: I enjoyed reading this book. This book made me sad and happy at the same time. I was happy that Ronnie fell in love with Will. I was sad when one of the characters (I won't say which one, it would spoil the book) died. The main character, Ronnie is a rebellious teen who has gotten in trouble with the law a few times. When she visited her father in North Carolina, she found some people to hang out with who weren't very good friends. One of them, Blaze, slipped something in Ronnie's bag while they were in a store. When they left the store, as you can guess, Ronnie got caught and blamed for the theft. By the end of the book, I realized Blaze is just a very insecure teen with a bad home life.

There is one part I didn't like. Towards the end of the book, Will gets really mad at Marcus (Blaze's boyfriend who constantly annoys Ronnie) and beats him and his friends up. I almost felt bad for Marcus because Will was so angry he broke Marcus's nose. To me Will seemed like a madman. His anger got the best of him. Overall, Will is still my favorite character because he is very kind and sweet. He cares about Ronnie as well as her brother and father.

I would recommend reading this book. For a Sparks novel, it was pretty clean. The ending is very sad, though. You will have to read this book to find out why it it sad...I almost cried. I gave it three coffee cups because I liked this book but its not my favorite.

5 comments:

  1. Just found your blog. Very pretty, nice colors! I'll come back to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your post at Book Blogs and signed up to follow your blog :-)

    You can find my book review site (Cafe Lily) at:
    http://redlilycafe.blogspot.com

    I really like your layout and colors - very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the movie version of this one earlier this year and I really enjoyed it (it did make me cry, but it was really well done). I haven't read any of Nicholas Sparks' books - do you have a favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for following!
    Lisa - I have only read Dear John and The Last Song. Out of those two I think I liked Dear John the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elena I found your blog from Book Blogs, and seeing as I am new to blogging I thought I would start following you. You have a lovely site. I read The Last Song a few months ago and enjoyed it, it was a great summer read. I also enjoyed A Walk to Remember, have you read it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! I love them!