Sunday, October 24, 2010

Author Interview with Claudia Gabel!

Welcome to the 10 days of Halloween day 3! Today we welcome Claudia Gabel (Author of Romeo and Juliet and Vampires) to my blog. I am excited to be featuring an interview with her.

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself
When I was in second grade, my teacher read A Wrinkle in Time aloud in class-- that’s the moment I fell in love with books. I loved going on this adventure in my mind and how fun it was to use my imagination. I remember telling myself then that I wanted to be a writer, and throughout my childhood, I wrote stories in Mead notebooks and gave them to my friends to read. When I grew up, I began pursuing a career as a book editor and helping other writers get published. However, I always hoped that I’d see one of my own novels on bookstore shelves. In June 2007, my hopes turned into reality! My teen fiction series, In or Out, was published by Scholastic/Point. I’m also a Senior Editor with Katherine Tegen Books, and a creative writing instructor with MediaBistro.com.

2. What is your book, Romeo & Juliet & Vampires about?
Set in Transylvania in 1462, ROMEO & JULIET & VAMPIRES is a mash-up novel based on Shakespeare's play, featuring a new version of the love story between Juliet Capulet, the daughter of two notorious vampires, and Romeo Montague, who was born into a family of vampire slayers. Most of the book stays true to the tragic romance we’ve all grown up with, but there are definitely a few surprises in store for readers.

3. What inspired you to write this book?
Honestly, I had a lot of difficulty reading Shakespeare when I was first introduced to his writing in high school. I loved to read, and not being able to understand his plays really broke my heart. I must confess: I relied on lots of SparkNotes back then. But when the mash-up trend started getting popular, I found myself thinking of how much it would have helped me to have some fun, interesting takes on the classics to read along with the originals. Hopefully teens who dip into this book at home won’t be as intimidated by Shakespeare’s work when they are reading it in the classroom.

4. Can you relate to any of the characters in Romeo & Juliet & Vampires?
I actually related to Romeo the most. Even though he was born into a family of vampire-slayers, he is more of a lover than a fighter (at least at first). He has so much love in his heart and it’s totally unconditional and knows no boundaries. I’m just as much of a romantic as he is.

5. Can you tell us a little bit about what you are working on now and what we should expect from you next?
My WIP is taking over my life right now because it involves so much research! The book is a supernatural mystery that’s rooted in American spiritualism, and I’m hoping that the story will be so rich, I’ll be about to turn into a series. I don’t want to say too much more because I’m still fine-tuning the concept, but it’s something that I’m very excited about!

6. How would you survive a zombie attack? Or would you?
I think I might be able to outrun a zombie, but that’s probably about it. My fighting skills are pretty lackluster. I’d give myself a couple of days of survival, but that might be optimistic of me!

7. If you could have one super/paranormal power what would it be and why?
I would love to be able to time travel. I know, it’s such a geeky choice, but I’d love to see how humans lived in the past and how we evolve in the future!

Thank you for your time Claudia! We appreciate it! I encourage all of you to pick up a copy of Romeo & Juliet & Vampires!

Check my blog later for a great giveaway of Romeo & Juliet & Vampires!

1 comment:

  1. Hey :)
    I just wanted to let you know that you've won an award over at my blog, Burning.x.Impossibly.x.Bright. Congrats!! :D

    ♪♫ Ambur

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! I love them!