Sunday, October 3, 2010

Book Review: Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

Title: Twenty Boy Summer
Author: Sarah Ockler
Pages: 290
Publisher: Little, Brown Books
Source: Library

Summary: "Don't worry, Anna. I'll tell her, okay? Just let me think about the best way to do it."
"Okay."
"Promise me? Promise you won't say anything?"
"Don't worry." I laughed. "It's our secret, right?"

According to her best friend Frankie, twenty days in Zanzibar Bay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy every day, there's a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there's something she hasn't told Frankie---she's already had that kind of romance, and it was with Frankie's older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.

Review: On the front cover (of my edition) there is a quote. The quote is by Jo Knowles (author of Lessons from a Dead Girl) it is: "Breaks your heart and puts it back together again". That is exactly what this book did to me.

On her fifteenth birthday, the main girl, Anna, starts secretly dating her best friend's brother Matt. Before they tell her best friend, Frankie, Matt suddenly dies. About a year later, Frankie's parents invite Anna on a vacation with them to California. On the trip, Frankie and Anna make a deal to meet twenty boys in hopes of finding Anna a summer romance. What Frankie doesn't know is that Anna was dating her brother. Anna was too afraid to tell her since the three of them had been best friends for a long time.

When I read the summary, I overlooked the fact that Matt died. As I read the book, his death shocked me. I was in tears. I didn't think that the book was going to get better. Suprisingly, the book got much better. As the characters in this book got happy and less depressed about Matt dying, I got more happy and less depressed.

This was a really good romance novel. I can't exactly relate to the main character, Anna. I've never had someone close to me die. I can imagine it would be horrible.

I liked this book a lot. There were so many cute parts. There was some mature content and a little bit of language. I gave this book four coffee cups. Great book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! I love them!