Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Book Review: You Wish by Mandy Hubbard

Title: You Wish
Author: Mandy Hubbard
Pages: 272
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Bought from Borders
Summary: What if all your wishes really came true?

Kayla McHenry is having the worst sweet sixteenth birthday ever! Her dad left, her grades dropped, and her BFF is dating the boy Kayla’s secretly loved for years. Blowing out her candles, Kayla thinks: I wish my birthday wishes actually came true. Because they never freakin’ do.

Kayla wakes the next day to a life-sized, bright pink My Little Pony outside her window. The following day, a year’s supply of gumballs arrives. Then, an oddly plastic-looking boy shows up in a convertible and starts following her around everywhere! As the ghosts of Kayla’s wishes-past appear, they take her on a wild ride . . . but they MUST STOP. Because when she was fifteen? She wished Ben Mackenzie would kiss her. And Ben is her best friend’s boyfriend.

Review: When I read the summary, I knew I would love it! It looked like a fun book. As it turns out, It was just as I thought it would be. Amazing! It was hilarious. I was laughing out loud. My favorite wish to come true is Ken coming to life. As in Barbie and Ken. I won't say much about that because it is more funny if you read it yourself.

This book had a really good ending. It was a little sad, but mostly it made me really happy. Every day Kayla would wake up and she would have another wish come true. I was eager to find out what wish would come true every day. As soon as I found out what the wish was, I was laughing. Every wish was really funny. There was never any slow parts in this book. I read it pretty quickly since it was very entertaining.

I liked how I was able to relate to the main girl, Kayla. She is down to earth and deals with everyday problems that every teen goes through. She seems like an easy person to get along with. She doesn't care what others think of her.

I can imagine if all my wishes came true. Lets see... my build-a-bear would come to life and be my best friend. My twin doll would come to life and be my best friend. A boy that I had a crush on when I was 11 would start talking to me. That's all I can remember. I'm sure I've had many strange wishes that would be embarrasing and/or hilarious if they came true now!

This book got the honor of five coffee cups. I would recommend reading this book to anyone. It was SO funny! I loved it!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds very cute. Wouldn't it be nice if birthday wishes really did come true?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! I love them!